The BEST and EASIEST Pot Roast EVER!!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Jaggers Family Pot Roast


If you read today's earlier post  ~ WORK ~ you knew that I was making a pot roast for dinner. For years my pot roast were hit or miss. I mean, I tried cooking them on high for a short amount of time, I tried searing the meat.. not searing the meat.. adding veggies.. not adding veggies.. 

Then Culinary School came and I quickly learned that the only way to break down a piece of meat like a roast is... 

LOW & SLOW.. 

Which works great for a lot of people. You could put this in the oven before you leave for church and then its done by time you get home, or come home on your lunch and put it in the oven.. or just make it because you are busy at home ( as I am ) and just want the oven to do most of the work for dinner.

Preheat your oven to 

275


For the roast you will need a roast.. I tend to use a chuck roast most of the time but a rump or shoulder roast would work fine too. You will need a few pealed onions..cut in half, some fresh carrots cut up or you could use some baby ones, oil, beef stock..box is fine, some oil - either vegetable or olive oil - , garlic powder, either fresh or dried thyme and rosemary, and salt and pepper.

Heat up the oil.. stand back and


add the onions, cut side down and


and brown then


remove them to a plate..

Then brown the carrots..


in the same oil.. then put them on the same plate.


Next up..

Season up the roast with a bunch of salt and pepper, and garlic powder. Remember this is a big piece of meat so be generous with the seasonings.


add it to same skillet and oil you used for the veggies..

Brown on both sides..


add your vegetables back to the pot..

Add a


cup or so of beef broth..

I am using dried herbs.. that's what I had on hand.. but I like fresh better!!


Just a big handful of each..

Rosemary

&


Thyme..

Then simply put the lid on..


and put in the oven.

3 hours, for a 3 pound roast. For a 4 to 5 pound roast, plan - 4 hours

Ours was in there for 4 hours. We even left and came home and the smell that lingered through the house was amazing!

Gabby was camped out on the floor right in front of the oven hoping she could just a get bite of that good smelling roast!

Here it is..


Is that not beautiful!?


This roast just fell apart.

I sometime put potatoes in the pot too
 ( and if you do want to add them to the roast, brown them up cut side down just like you did with the onions. ) 
 but a lot of times I make


mashed red potatoes.. skins on..


just simply made with butter and milk and


hand mashed..

And dinner was served..


A very very good dinner.


I don't know ANYONE who wouldn't love this meal. Its perfect for winter and


this pot roast is to DIE FOR..

Try it and email me what you think!!!!


K Jaggers
2 comments on "The BEST and EASIEST Pot Roast EVER!!"
  1. Looks great! I will have to try it. Love to have you link up to Wonderful Food Wednesday ! Thanks for sharing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did link up! Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I love hearing from you! It takes me a minute to moderate the comments so it should show up shortly.