Movie Review: Lone Survivor

Tuesday, June 17, 2014
It's been a while since i have done a movie review. Honest to God, there just have not been enough good movies here lately. Late one night last week, I happened to see a movie with Mark Wahlberg. I am the kind of girl who does love a good action movie so I put it on. It wasn't long before Scott realized what I was watching and came join me. Scott was quick to let me know that  Lone Survivor tells the true story of a 2005 Navy SEAL mission in Afghanistan gone terribly wrong. In the beginning of the film there is actual Navy Seal Training footage. For a second there, I thought I might  be watching some kind of documentary. I should say that this is not a movie for children in anyway. There is a ton of brutal, bloody violence, with guns, shooting, open wounds, and many deaths. So make sure the kids are in bed if you decide to watch this. You have to know that this is a war movie and there is a ton of violence. 

From the beginning of the movie when Mark Wahlberg comes into play with the other characters, you don't learn much about them except you realize how they are not just soldiers in the same unit, they are family. I could almost feel the bond inside myself watching. These boys will die for each other in any circumstance where the possibility of death is high. 


They soon find the mission they are sent on is compromised. They are spotted by goat hearders of sorts. They had to decide what to do. Kill them which breaks many rules of war, tie them up...which is basically the same or let them go and try to get out of there. 


Needless to say the decision they made had some very fatal consequences. You have to remember wars are never easy....trying to second guess what those men had to do is just wrong because we were not there. It showed in full detail the result of war. Good men ( and women ) die fighting for our country. The brotherhood never waivers and while all but one were killed...they died together in the most honorable way possible. I don't think many of us realize how real it is for these soldiers. The Lone Survivor is found by local villagers that end up saving his life.  

Here's the trailer.




Its a beautiful tribute to the men lost and to the villagers to actually helped. At the end of the movie they explain by law if a person ends up in their village hurt or in need of help, it is their job to protect them. Plain and simple. They didn't want the radicals in their community either. They were kind loving people who helped one of our soldiers make it back home. 

I think that we owe to our soldiers to hold our eyes open to see what they actually go through. These were not just soldiers, they were the elite and put the best fight of their lives. I am giving this movie..


for the story it tells...the impact on me was really strong.  Its a very powerful film and an important reminder of what really happens when we send men and women off to war. I think it was really sad that through out the movie they were showing that their phones and communication equipment was not working. One would think we could handle that easily but my husband reminded me that in the hills of Afghanistan, any reception is hard to get. We spend a lot of money on defense..maybe some should go towards better equipment. I guess that is a different discussion for a different time. 

I hope maybe between now and the 4th of July you take a little time to watch this movie. I was heart broken yet proud when watching and I think we owe it to them to see what they are going through for us. Don't miss this movie. 



If you want to find me buzzing around online, here's where to go! :)
FacebookTwitter | Instagram | Pinterest Youtube Main Channel Youtube Vlogging Channel Bloglovin