Recipe Testing : Pioneer Woman's Lasagna

Friday, February 22, 2013


Recently, I saw an episode of the The Pioneer Woman where I saw she was making a lasagna.. it was just a bit different than my lasagna. So why not try it!? 



Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 pound Ground Beef
  • 1 pound Hot Breakfast Sausage
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 2 cans (14.5 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes
  • 2 cans (6 Ounce) Tomato Paste
  • 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
  • 2 Tablespoons Dried Basil
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 3 cups Lowfat Cottage Cheese
  • 2 whole Beaten Eggs
  • 1/2 cup Grated (not Shredded) Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 pound Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1 package (10 Ounce) Lasagna Noodles
  • (add 1/2 Teaspoon Salt And 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil To Pasta Water)



In a skillet, combine 1 1/2 pounds ground beef, 1 pound breakfast sausage, and 2 cloves minced garlic. I used my garlic press. And again.. I used mild sausage. 

While that was cooking I got the cheese mixture made. 


3 cups low fat cottage cheese 


2 eggs and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. 


Add 2 tablespoon parsley flakes.


1 Teaspoon of salt..

Mix 


and set aside. 

Also get the water boiling for the lasagna noodles. 


The sausage and hamburger is browned up.. drain most of the fat off and add 


two 14.5-oz cans of whole tomatoes, two 6-oz cans of tomato paste…


Add 

2 Tablespoons dried parsley flakes..


1 Teaspoon of salt..


And 2 Tablespoons of Dried Basil..


Mix well and let it simmer for about 45 minutes.


Drain the noodles and get things ready to prepare the lasagnas. 


Layer of Noodles overlapping each of them.

Then the Cheese Mixture.. 

Then top that with the sliced cheese and then top with the meat mxiture



And repeat..




Then finish the top off with more of the Kraft Parmesan Cheese...


Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes 


and enjoy!




For me.. I have a couple of thoughts about this lasagna. 

I am just not a fan of sausage in my lasagna. I added it because that's what I called for but I will be sticking with just beef.. as normal. 

I think the cheese mixture that has the cottage cheese and eggs should be more. This is suppose to be for 2 lasagnas but I would just make one big one. 

The Parmesan only cheese on the top just doesn't work for me either. I like more cheese on top. 

I also like a few more spices in the meat mixture too. 

Even though I have a few problems with this recipe all the boys in my house ate it up. I was certainly a big hit with them! My husband even liked it! But he added more cheese to the top of his. 

Have you tried this? Do you have a great family lasgana recipe?? I would love to test it out and share it!! Just email me at  mrskishajaggers@gmail.com or leave me the recipe in the comments! 

K Jaggers



Post Comment
Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I love hearing from you! It takes me a minute to moderate the comments so it should show up shortly.