Monday Movie Review { Anna Karenina }

Monday, February 25, 2013


Time for another Movie Review! I have been watching a lot of movies lately and it wasn't so easy to figure out which one to review tonight.. but I had to go with

Anna Karenina
Here's what the movie is about..

The third collaboration of Academy Award nominee Keira Knightley with acclaimed director Joe Wright, following the award-winning box office successes Pride & Prejudice and Atonement, is a bold, theatrical new vision of the epic story of love, adapted from Leo Tolstoy's timeless novel by Academy Award winner Tom Stoppard. The story powerfully explores the capacity for love that surges through the human heart. As Anna (Ms. Knightley) questions her happiness and marriage, change comes to all around her. -- (C) Focus




I really didn't know much about the story.. really all I knew it was a love story based in Russia. I was so excited to see this pop up on the tv because I saw some of these pictures of the costumes a while ago!



So this movie takes 19th century Tsarist Russia. Even if you have not read the book you can keep up with the movie really easily.

Keira Knightley shinned in this movie.  I consider her the princess of period pieces and she does not disappoint in this movie AT ALL.  Her costumes and jewelry are amazing.. she shoulders are even more amazing being they stand out in such a beautiful way.

Keira Knightley

She was married to




Alexi played by Jude Law. I don't remember many good movies Jude Law has been in besides The Holiday.. but in this movie, he is so good. I am reminded how good of an actor he is. He plays the patient and understanding husband who eventually has enough..

Because his wife was 



in love with this Count. She can't help herself. The ball room dance between them is hot.. and I had never seen dancing as in this movie. They say together but they don't hold each other like in the picture above. Its beautiful and had to be a lot of work to learn! 

Here's the trailer.. 

As I said I didn't know how this movie was going to end. I didn't know that she would pick her lover over her husband and have to live with it. She would have a baby that she wouldn't be able to keep.. but who would live under the protection of her husband. 


In the end it becomes too much. At one point, her husband tries to explain to her that people are beginning to talk about her very obvious attraction to the Count. “I would be a sin to help you destroy yourself,” explains Karenin. Anna realizes what she is doing is damaging to her reputation and will prevent her from seeing her son Serhoza
 Anna says, 

“I’d die for my son. But I can’t live for him like this.” 

How tragic! 

She goes on to the live the best she could but she became an outcast.. and she clearly just wanted a different life. It was an arranged marriage to her husband. She never felt loved before like she did with the Count. She had to go. And she never came back. In the end she takes her own life. So apparently the demons won. I was shocked by this ending. Again, I haven't read the book. 

I am giving this movie


because it was a good movie but not a great movie. one of the big things about this movie is the cinematography. It was filmed beautifully. I think it was a beautiful movie and I loved it. I was seriously born in the wrong time! Why can't we dress like that now? 

If you like time period movies.. don't miss out on this one! 

LOVED IT! 

K Jaggers

Post Comment
Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I love hearing from you! It takes me a minute to moderate the comments so it should show up shortly.